50 Shades of Colourings
- Henna is a 100% natural type of hair colour derived from dyeing plants. It creates a film around the hair, making the penetration of any other coloring treatment very difficult afterwards.
- Temporary colour lasts for 4 to 6 shampoos and is usually used to revive color and shine.
- Semi-permanent hair colour can withstand 10-12 washes, ideal for those who want to temporarily change the colour of their hair and / or mask the first signs of white hair.
- Permanent hair colour ensures 100% coverage with vibrant and long-lasting color. To prevent the color from washing out too quickly, all permanent hair colorants must be mixed with hydrogen peroxide.
Herbal vs traditional
The most common ingredient in traditional hair dyes is ammonia, used to penetrate the hair cuticle and deposit color. Its downside is the potential to damage and weaken the hair cuticle, which overtime results in dry, brittle, unhealthy looking hair.
As a result, more people are turning towards herbal hair colorings which are formulated with floral or plant extracts to help gently deposit color without damage, leaving a vibrant, soft and natural-looking result.
Dos and Don'ts of Dyeing
As with anything, the fewer the chemical ingredients, the better. Try to avoid products with ammonia, resorcinol, alcohol, parabens and added fragrances.
By eliminating ammonia from the recipe, there is little or no penetration of the epidermis, thus reducing the potential for allergic reactions. Before you buy, ensure your formula has been dermatologically tested on sensitive skin.
High-quality natural products made with pure organic color pigments contain the lowest volumes of peroxide. Products that use plant-based alkaline such as Cinchona, Chinese Rhubarb and Black Walnut diminish structural damage to the hair shaft and results in far less color fade.
Beneficial Herbal Extracts
Ingredients in your herbal hair colour can impact both the look and health of your hair. Here are some of the best ones to look for:
- Rosemary: a natural antioxidant, rich in essential oils
- Aloe Vera: rich in vitamins, enzymes, panthenol and natural minerals. It helps to moisturize, restore the PH balance of the scalp and encourage growth
- Meadowfoam: rich in Vitamin E. It helps provide better coverage and long lasting results
- White Birch: a hair tonic and re-mineralizing agent that promotes stronger, fuller hair follicles
- Witch Hazel: rich in flavonoids and essential oils it helps reduce hair loss
- Echinacea: a hydrating, natural antiseptic
Herbatint is formulated with these specific herbal extracts, perfected over 30 years, to gently deposit colour and achieve a natural shine and vibrant result for your hair.